Well they just keep coming. I received an urgent call last night about 5 foals ready to ship up in Washington State. I spoke with the gentlemen this morning and he will be calling in the next few days to arrange a time for us to pick them up. (Providing we can raise the funds necessary to keep saving these lives.) We are also on standby from our other folks in WA as well.
The larger number of babies, which at this point is 30 - 60 weanlings, will need to be picked up in CA, by September 17 or around that time. As usual in our world, there are no "for sures" with the exception of the fact that there will be a very large number of babies to save. We won't know how many or how much help there will be. These babies lives will be at stake so we are hoping that y'all are on board to save them. At this time, we are really strapped from the last batch of 49 Yakama kids and the orphans from NV. The gelding of the stallions was not quite covered and the total bill was around $3300+. This included Nya's vet visit and her blood draw. Unfortunately the wilder ones generate so much adrenaline that they require larger amounts of medication, and that medication is extremely expensive.
On the plus side of success however, you have once again "done the impossible". ALL the stallions (now geldings) will be heading to Idaho and many of them already have their forever homes lined up. This is only possible due to the love and support y'all have showed for these amazing animals.
What will happen with the larger number of foals: We will be able to commit to as many as we can afford to transport, get blood work done, and be able to care for. These babies will need special munchies, and some of them may still need milk supplements. That is really expensive. However, many of them are older and will simply need some good grain and hay. But winter is coming and we cannot commit to horses we cannot properly care for.
It is not a space issue, but a financial one. We simply cannot fund this rescue from our rescue without lots of help.
The option for these babies if they are not adopted is not a very happy one. From what I understand they would be released back into the wild but without their moms or a band to protect them. Coming right before winter I believe that would be a death sentence. There is also a possibility that ALL the babies would come to Chilly Pepper in NV on their way to other rescues. However, that has to be fully funded as we cannot feed them "air" if funding did not come through.
Unfortunately, there are more horses than homes right now, but if everyone who had the ability stepped up and was willing to take on one or two, it would be a minimal task.
"The Plan'. IF, WE CAN RAISE ENOUGH FUNDS TO RESPONSIBLY SAVE THESE BABIES, the following will happen. (As Far As We Know LOL)
Matt and I would pick up the babies and take them to our old place in CA. We still have the nursery and the outside foal room as well as lots of shelter available for these babies. Then we would have to get a blood test for "Coggins" prior to bringing them to NV. It would take approximately 4 trips from the pick up point to Shingletown and about 2 hours each one way trip when loaded.
Then all the babies would need to be vetted and have their blood drawn.
Once the blood test results were in, we would begin transporting the babies to our facility in NV. However, again we simply cannot take any of these foals on without having a realistic and responsible budget to work with.
Worst case scenario, we would be looking at approximately 5,000 + miles to pick up the kids in WA and to pick up the babies. If we are close to the max number, we would take 4 round trips to Shingletown and then once we had blood work, health certificates etc. we would head back to NV. We are down to an older "back up truck" and we can haul 15 babies per load, give or take depending on size and health.
So it is once again AN EMERGENCY SITUATION for these babies. We are praying many of them are adopted prior to the pick up date, but have been asked to be standing by to help as many of the ones that we can.
So we are looking at up to 60 lives at stake. I am hoping folks want us to save them and are willing to help. We need adopters, sponsors, donors and lots and lots of prayers. Once again this is an overwhelming task that could be considered a logistical nightmare. OR, it can be a task where everyone steps up and together we get it done. After sorting all the 900+ kids in SD and so many people coming together to take on one or two, this seems like it should be so much easier. If 60 people stepped up each and every baby could have a wonderful home.
PLEASE, let's save these beautiful little lives and give them a chance to actually have a life.
We can not take on all the babies if there are no other rescues in line to help out. We will take the max we can based on the ability to provide care, feed and what they need until they find their new homes.
This really is an emergency and with so many little lives at stake I am confident that we can come together and make this happen. God bless and thank you from all the little ones waiting for their trip to safety.
I really do not enjoy fundraising, but it is for the horses and the only way we can save them. It will cost thousands, but together we CAN "git 'er done"!
I honestly was hoping to not even be involved, but once again God put it in front of me so we will do our best, as once again we come together with our Chilly Pepper Family.
If you want to help You can go to You Caring - to help us keep saving lives.
You can go to Paypal - Palominodancer@yahoo.com or go to www.chillypepper.org
if you would like to help these horses.
You can donate via check at Chilly Pepper - Miracle Mustang, P.O. Box 190 Golconda, NV 89414
You can also donate via credit card by calling Palomino at 530-339-1458.
NO MATTER HOW BIG OR HOW SMALL - WE SAVE THEM ALL!
SAVING GOD'S CRITTERS - FOUR FEET AT A TIME
Chilly Pepper - Miracle Mustang, WIN Project - Rescue & Rehab
We are now part of the WIN Organization
WIN (WILD HORSES IN NEED) is a 501c3 IRS EIN 55-0882407
OUR MAILING ADDRESS
PO BOX 233
GOLCONDA, NV 89414