Recently I was asked about the status of the “rolling foal hospital”. It has been quite an interesting adventure, with an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs. Initially, and with the auction of the print that was won by Carol Steele, we raised enough funds to cover what we have done so far. After picking up the van and bringing it back to CA, we were finally able to get it registered and enough work done on it to get it to stay running long enough to pass smog. It had died about 20 times on the way home and we were pretty nervous, but as usual God blessed us and we got home safely. We knew she was going to need some work, but it was a bit hairy getting home. Once we did get home, thanks to y’all, we were excited and felt like we were on the way to “gittin’ ‘er done” and getting the van ready for our babies. This is when things got complicated.
A wonderful gentleman told me to take the van to his mechanic, and he would pay to get it fixed so it would be roadworthy and ready to go for the babies. However, with everything that needed to be done, mainly a new transmission, heater core, air conditioning repairs, some electrical and some general TLC, he decided that he would rather find a different and newer van. Of course we were excited to have something that would be more reliable off the bat, but things became even more complicated. He found a 4 x 4 van and told the dealership to change the motor to a diesel. Well our friend then had to have surgery. Unfortunately the doc managed to mess it up, and while he was dealing with the aftermath of a messed up surgery, another man bought the van he was looking at. To make a long story short, with the complications of the first surgery, it caused not only a great deal of pain and illness for our friend, but also the need for another surgery. So at this point, the focus became survival and trying to heal up.
Unfortunately, we need to get our “Rolling Foal Hospital” ready to go immediately. The weather has already changed and the roads to picking up these babies are often treacherous this time of year. Although this is not normal birthing season, we still can get a baby at any time. We picked up Precious the day before Thanksgiving one year ago, and it was 12 degrees and snowing. Even though we pulled our good comforter off of our bed in the trailer to help warm her, she was still breathing the frigid air and her body temperature was ever so dangerously low. This is not a great way to start and we need to do better, so we simply cannot wait and we need to be ready NOW! Our job is to make sure that we are as prepared as we possibly can be when we get these babies. In this case, it means working with what we have and we need to continue to fix the van we actually have, even if it takes a bit. The reality is that this is the van we have to work with, it is actually in our possession, and with some TLC it will be an awesome tool in helping save these babies. The difference it will make in the lives of the babies we pick up could be tremendous for so many reasons. One of the biggest is our response time will be so much faster. It wipes about an hour if not more off of our commute, and since I can work on the baby on the way home without stopping every 20 minutes, we can get them home and safely settled in the nursery much sooner. We can also control the temperature as opposed to them dealing with riding in a cold trailer. This also will eliminate pulling our big trailer and sliding around the mountain roads on the ice and snow.
So we wanted to let y’all know why you haven’t heard any news about the van for a while. We were waiting and praying that the other one came through, but if that is not meant to be we will just have to continue to do what is needed to make this one reliable. It definitely has the space to work with, and I have faith that eventually it can be what we need it to be.
So now y'all know what is happening with the "Rolling Foal Hospital" at Chilly Pepper - Miracle Mustang :)
I have attached some pictures of Tawny. The initial ones are when Anne Hall rescued her and gave her a chance for life. The latest one is her today.
I received this email yesterday, and we have been working on a plan that would allow us to at least help 2 or 3 of the babies and save them from being slaughtered and turned into "filet of foal".
By moving out Tawny and Mica, our current orphans, we will be able to help save at least 2 or 3 of the babies that have about 2 weeks from Thursday before they are sent to the auction and end up on someone's dinner plate.
We have found a wonderful foster home for Tawny, but we need to raise enough funds to provide her with her munchies and hay, as well as pay for her hernia surgery. So we are asking for your help. If y'all can donate anything, whether it be one bale of hay (about $18.00) or even $5 for part of a bale, that would be awesome. In doing so, you will be keeping the 2 or 3 babies off of the grill (if they even survive the trip to the slaughter plant) and allowing us to have room to keep doing what we do.
The following is from the email we received via Suzanne Roy, and everyone is trying to do whatever they can to save these horses. Unfortunately, most all of the rescues are full to over flowing and it is totally irresponsible for folks to take on more than they can care for. If we do not make room by moving these babies, we will not be able to save the new babies. We have to be responsible and make sure we can take care of the horses in our care.
I hope this email finds you well. I'm reaching out today to our coalition partners to seek help in finding a place for some very special wild horses who face sale at a slaughter auction in under a month if placement is not found. These horses include Bond, a stallion (now gelding), and his family, and over a dozen other horses who are now sitting at the Carson City prison after being captured from the Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDA) from their homes in the Virginia Range in northern Nevada. A total of 28 horses were captured. Six have been placed, leaving a total of 22 horses in need of homes.
These are beautiful and historic mustangs -- from the population that first inspired Wild Horse Annie's quest to save America's wild horses. AWHPC/Return to Freedom has a cooperative agreement with the NDA that allows us to purchase horses directly from the state and place them in rescues so that advocates are not forced to outbid kill buyers at the slaughter auction. Over the past two years, 170 wild horses captured by the NDA have been rescued, including 23 under the direct care of AWHPC. Local rescues are full and cannot absorb the additional horses at the prison, which means that they will be sent to the livestock auction if placement is not located."
Time is running out for these horses. Anything will help and if we all work together, we can make a difference.
Take care and God bless. (The pictures of Tawny are so y'all can see how much better she is doing and how much she deserves to have everything she needs to grow up and thrive.)
Also, PLEASE TELL SANCTUARIES WHO ARE INVOLVED IN RANDOM AND INDISCRIMINATE BREEDING TO STOP!! OUR HORSES ARE IN CRISIS!
Hi everyone! Emily the web admin here, Palomino sent me some pics last week but I was out of town and couldn't get them posted till today. Just a quick word of recovery prayers for Palomino following her shoulder surgery, here's her latest from Facebook:
Thank you for all the prayers. Each surgery I continue to have makes me a tiny bit nervous because of so many times under anesthesia. But I guess it went well Haven't talked to Doc since, but hopefully this will buy more time before I have to have it replaced. Had 3 total knees inside of 5 years, so really would like to postpone another "replacement" if I can. But it looks like we will be ready to roll with any babies very quickly. Matt can be here 24/7 to help with the physical stuff so between the two of us we can do whatever needs done, and I can stay safe and heal thanks to him being here 24/7.
About the pics below:
We are making tiny baby steps of progress with Sarjha. Mica and Tawny are doing very well and looking for their forever homes.
Also last week....
Bucket turned 6 months old!
OUR MAILING ADDRESS
PO BOX 233
GOLCONDA, NV 89414