Just got a call from Shirley - YOUR PRAYERS HELPED - LiL Bit is still with us. This is the basic information I got this evening.
There are no obvious fractures
Spine looks intact bonewise
Did x rays and ultra sound - no damage visible in these tests that would cause this type of issue
Docs think there is soft tissue damage and a nerve that has been injured or pinched in her back and hindquarters.
Do not know at this point if recovery is possible or not.
Doc is doing a more indepth study of pictures at office - will call with news tomorrow. They took pix from the top of her head to the top of her butt.
At this point treatment involves literal 24/7 care and she will be receiving steroids to help ease the swelling.
Shirley is doing what we do. She is spending 60 minutes out of every hour with her so she won't fall. She can move forward in a straight line, but when she turns she falls. This is what we do. Nothing else gets done - just that baby is watched and helped each minute of each hour of each day.
Please continue your prayers and thank you for those who have helped us start to pay the vet bill.
If she reaches the point where it is unkind to give her any more time, she will be helped to leave this earth, BUT AT THIS TIME - the vet, (and Shirley - who has been taking care of her all these months) feel like we should keep on trying as there is no reason not to. She is comfortable and eating and drinking like a champ. She whinnies to Shirley when she is done resting and she helps her up and then watches to make sure she doesn't fall.
Last night was a hard night but apparently today was not quite as hard.
The chiropractor will be coming out in the next day or two, after the swelling goes down a bit.
The prognosis is definitely unknown. Only time will tell if this little miracle gets more time on this earth. At this point time is what she needs.
These are the types of babies that had no chance when I volunteered for 8 years at a sanctuary. I was not allowed, nor given time to help foals like these and had to watch so many babies leave this world without any attempt to help them. It broke my heart.... (I understand this was due to the fact that there were so many healthy babies who needed homes and there was not money allotted for babies like this, but it definitely did not work for me.)
But this is what we do here at Chilly Pepper - Miracle Mustang, Equine Rescue & More, and what Shirley does at Lucky Horse Rehab in NV.
We do everything we can (within reason) and always keeping the comfort and best interest of the babies we are helping in the forefront of every decision made. But we never get the easy ones, and we don't go looking for the ones we get. But when God puts a baby like this in front of us I believe with all my heart that we are supposed to do everything we can.
So the good news today is that the vet did not feel it was right to euthanize her and gave us a bit of hope. Thank you again for your continued prayers and support for this little girl.
SHIRLEY ASKED ME TO PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE I SAID THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF HER HEART. SHE WILL SEND PIX AND A BETTER UPDATE WHEN SHE CAN GET TO HER COMPUTER, BUT RIGHT NOW SHE HAS TO STAY WITH LIL BIT.
OUR MAILING ADDRESS HAS CHANGED!
PO BOX 233
GOLCONDA, NV 89414